All You Need to Know About OnStar
Here’s all you need to know about OnStar, GM’s famous suite of in-vehicle services!
What Is OnStar?
OnStar is a subsidiary of General Motors that provides a number of in-vehicle and remote services to millions of GM vehicles. Of course, it’s also the name given to this suite of services!
How Does It Work?
By gathering information through your vehicles’ on-board diagnostics system, along with GPS data. It also utilizes cellular technology for voice communication and data transmissions.
Did You Know?
All 2015 vehicles and newer come standard with the OnStar Basic Plan for five years!
With it, you’ll be able to:
–> Access your in-car 4G LTE Wi-Fi Hotspot! Press the Voice Commands button, say “Wi-Fi Settings”, then enter the SSID & Passphrase in your phone. Don’t forget! All new vehicles include a 3 month/3GB data trial (whichever comes first).
–> Use Remote Access to remote start (if equipped), lock & unlock your vehicle, all from your vehicle’s mobile app.
–> Keep tabs on your vehicle with included monthly diagnostics reports (features vary by model).
–> View Alerts & Notifications alerting you about routine maintenance or when your vehicle needs service.
–> Transfer the plan to subsequent owners for the remaining term.
How Do I Use It?
It’s easy! Nearly every feature is available by pressing one of the buttons located on your rear view mirror.
Simply press the Blue Button and let a friendly, real-time advisor guide you through the quick and easy set up process. It only takes a minute or two!
How Do I Access the Services?
While most OnStar services can be accessed using the Blue, Emergency or Voice Commands button, there are also several other ways to access your features and functions on the go:
Web – Visit OnStar.ca to:
– Access, manager or add to your OnStar services
– View your full OnStar vehicle diagnostics information
– Get support
App – Use the MyBuick/MyChevrolet/MyCadillac/MyGMC app to:
– Reach an advisor
– View your full vehicle diagnostics information
– Remotely unlock your doors & start your vehicle (*if equipped)
– Remotely sound your horn and lights, if you can’t locate your vehicle
– Access roadside assistance
– Send directions to your vehicle
How to Set Up the MyBuick/MyChevrolet/MyCadillac/MyGMC App:
1) Ensure your OnStar.ca or Owner Centre username and password is at hand before you begin. Don’t have these? No Problem!
You’ll find all your credentials in the initial email you received from OnStar.
Didn’t get an email? Press the Blue Button and your advisor will provide you with everything you need! Then…
3) Launch the app and log in using your current Owner Centre or OnStar.ca username & password.
(Note: the email address you enter will also double as your username.)
4) Once you have completed this step, a verification code will be sent to you.
Follow the instructions to complete the sign-up process.
5) Log back into the app using your new credentials and try out your new features!
Did You Know?
Activate OnStar in your Pre-Owned vehicle (2006 & newer) and get 3 Months on Us!
–> Enjoy a free trial of services- including Automatic Crash Response, Roadside Assistance, unlimited Turn-by-Turn Navigation and more- risk free with no commitment and no cost to you!
–> Plus, with an eligible vehicle 2011 model year or newer you also get 3-years of the Basic Plan, which includes select features of the MyChevrolet, MyBuick, MyGMC, and MyCadillac mobile apps.