This Is The 2016 Chevrolet VoltChevrolet Apr 28th, 2015
We’ve talked about the 2016 Chevrolet Volt but we’ve yet to fully detail it in a blog. Today we right that wrong. Without further adieu….
First up, there’s a whole new look as you can see up top. The 2016 Volt ditches the old face for a brand new front fascia that wears Chevrolet’s new trademark “mouth”. The side of the car has also been re-sculpted, and it’s now more aggressive and more stylish than ever. In short, we love the new look.
Luckily, the new Volt is a whole lot more than just good looks. Under its redesigned hood sits a new, 192-cell /18.4kWh lithium-ion battery pack and a new 111-kW two-motor drive unit.
The entire system is now 12 percent more efficient and more than 100lbs. lighter than the outgoing Volt. Significant gains, to say the least.
Thanks to the new Voltec system, the new Volt is capable of travelling more than 1,000 miles (1,600km) between fill-ups. Talk about astonishing fuel economy figures.
“The improvements in the efficiency and performance of the 2016 Volt are driven by what owners said they wanted in the next-generation model: more range, better fuel economy and stronger acceleration,” said Andrew Farah, vehicle chief engineer.
Key to the Volt’s extraordinary range is the new, 1.5L range-extending four-cylinder engine, which is rated at 101 hp. And, thanks to customer feedback, the Volt can now be filled with regular gas, as opposed to premium-only in the current model.
Here are a few more highlights:
- Two-motor design enables 19 percent stronger zero-to-30 mph acceleration
- Regen on Demand™ feature enables driver control of energy regeneration via a convenient paddle on the back of the steering wheel
- Stronger body structure and quieter ride
- New braking system with improved capability and blended Regen feel
- New, five-passenger seating with available rear heated seats
- Location-based charging capability
- 120V portable cord set has a simpler, compact design with more convenient storage location
- Available illuminated charge port
The new 2016 Chevrolet Volt goes on sale in the second half of 2015.