The 2016 Cadillac ELR Is Here, Bringing More Power And New TechnologyCadillac Apr 14th, 2015
We’ve been holding our breath for the 2016 ELR and now Cadillac has finally revealed the new coupe in all its glory. And there’s a whole lotta’ changes goin’ on under its sleek metal bodywork.
For one thing, the new ELR features a revised electric drive system which helps increase power and torque by 25 percent over the 2015 model. It also features enhanced handling and braking, an updated front grill and Cadillac’s new, revised crest.
Here are some of biggest changes hidden under the bodywork of the 2016 ELR:
- Software upgrades to the battery system, which improve power and acceleration, and help to boost EV range the base model ELR
- Revised HiPer Strut front suspension
- Increased front spring rates and a stiffer rear axle
- More precise control with no loss to ride quality thanks to numerous suspension tweaks (like stiffer bushings for the front lower control arms)
- Revised calibrations for the Continuous Damping Control system
- Front Damper Rebound Spring added
- New steering calibration
- Revised brake hardware and system calibration for better stopping power
The new ELR offers a range of up to 330 miles (530 km), combining pure electric driving with an efficient 1.4L gasoline-powered engine-generator to help boost range.
Those looking for little more pep can also order a new ELR Performance Package, which includes:
- New 20-inch summer-only performance tires mounted on news wheels,
- Brembo brakes up front, which help improve 60-0mph stops by 12 percent
- Special calibrations for the Continuous Damping Control and power steering systems
- A new sport steering wheel for with a thicker rim
The new car also features a revised Sport mode, which helps it rocket to 60mph in just 6.5 seconds, an improvement of 1.5-seconds over the current car.
Like some other GM vehicles on sale today, the new ELR will come fully connected with a 4G WiFi hotspot. Occupants can recharge their cell phones wireless thanks to a new inductive charging pad.
The 2016 ELR will start at $58,495 (USD). Canadian prices, along with more vehicle info, will come very soon.