Meet the 2016 Cadillac ATS-VNov 19th, 2014
Cadillac Officially Unveils New ATS-V at LA Auto Show
Arriving next spring, the new V-series Cadillac will be one of the fastest vehicles ever produced by the brand in its 112-year history.
What is it?
The ATS-V, available both as a coupe and a sedan, elevates the performance of the award-winning ATS lineup and marks the start of the next generation of Cadillac high-performance V-series brand. The result is a dual-purpose vehicle: a racetrack-capable Cadillac that is also steeped in luxurious sophistication.
What’s under the hood?
Powered by a twin-turbocharged 3.6L V6 producing 455hp and 455lb-ft of torque (even more than we previously thought), ATS-V will be the very first ever twin-turbocharged V-series Cadillac. That’s enough to propel the V to 60mph in a barely believable 3.9 seconds and on to a 185mph top speed– with those kinds of numbers ATS-V will be one of the fastest vehicles in its class.
What sort of transmission?
Just like the new Corvette Z06
, ATS-V will provide customers with a choice of transmission: either a six-speed manual–with Active Rev Match, no-lift shifting and launch control– or an eight-speed automatic transmission with paddle-shifters, launch control and a Performance Algorithm Shift.
What’s new inside?
In order to match its aggressive, no-nonsense exterior, the new V features a redesigned cabin with 16-way adjustable RECARO performance front seats (trimmed in Mulan leather), a revised 5.7inch cluster display, CUE w/Bluetooth capability, a text-to-voice function, USB, aux and SD ports, as well as OnStar 4G LTE with built-in WiFi
. Cut-and-sewn tailoring with carbon fibre accents help finish off the interior.
What else is new?
Make no mistake, ATS-V is FAR more than just an ATS with a bigger engine: Cadillac also redesigned and reengineered chassis, suspension, and drivetrain systems in order to make ATS-V one of the lightest, fastest and most luxurious cars in its class. Those include:
– Brembo high performance brakes designed to provide durable, consistent, fade-free stopping power both on track and on the street.
– Third- generation Magnetic Ride Control, with 40 per cent faster damping response. MRC “reads” the road a thousand times per second, sending data to magneto-rheological fluid-filled dampers that can independently control the damping characteristics of all four dampers– the ultimate combination of comfort and performance.
– Structural stiffness increased by 25 percent to increase cornering performance
– Driver-selectable modes for Touring, Sport, and Track.
– a revised interior with sports seats and driver-focused ergonomics with key features for performance driving.
– Just like the 2015 Stringray, CTS-V also includes an on-board Performance Data Recorder, which allows drivers to record high-definition video, with data overlays, of their driving experiences on and off the track, enabling sharing on social media. Find out more about PDR here.
– The V also features a standard electronic limited-slip differential, providing optimal traction and enabling maximum cornering speeds.
What’s new on the outside?
ATS-V includes a wide variety of unique, functional exterior elements designed to increase performance, downforce and cooling:
-A lightweight carbon-fiber hood featuring an air-extracting vent pulls hot air out of the engine compartment and helps reduce lift at speed by channeling air out and over the top of car.
– Unique front and rear designs provide optimal performance, with larger front grill openings designed to feed more air to the new twin-turbocharged engine. Even the mesh pattern of the signature grille openings is enlarged to allow more air into the radiator.
– A front splitter enhances handling by forcing air to push down on the front of the car rather than flow under it, where it can cause lift
– Wider fenders accommodate new, ultra-sticky Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires (18 x 9-inch front wheels and 18 x 9.5-inch rear)
– The aluminum wheels, unique to the V-Series, are constructed of a low-mass forging that helps reduce un-sprung weight for greater agility and a more direct feel to steering input.